Tuesday 25 December 2012

Christmas Day treat for the birds

We had a couple of apples sitting on our kitchen counter for a few weeks.They were getting old and wrinkly and I was wondering what to do with them. I read an article in my favourite country magazine about making a winter treat for birds from leftover fruit.

I got really excited about the idea and snuck down at 6:30am on Christmas Day to check online whether birds in our region eat apples. Apparently, they do. To make the feast even more festive I decided to use up some leftover cranberries.


I cut the apples in half and removed the seeds; I read that they might not be that good for birds.


I hung the apples on a jute rope and tied a spruce sprig on the bottom to keep them from sliding off.


I strung the cranberries to create a garland.


With Misha's help we tied the treats to our apple tree in our back yard. The tree is the birds' favourite stopover before landing on our bird feeder. 


Hopefully, the birds will enjoy this little Christmas Day treat.


Mia



No comments:

Post a Comment